Grade 9-12 Teacher Manual
Skills for Health & Life
The Michigan Model for HealthTM Grade 9-12 Skills for Health & Life curriculum teaches the skills young people need to be contributing members of society, successful employees, and nurturing family members which mirrors the skills young people need to maintain and improve their health and long-term well-being. Students who master these skills demonstrate:
- Creativity, innovation, and inventiveness.
- Effective communication and collaboration with others.
- The application of research to address challenges.
- The ability to locate digital information efficiently, evaluate it effectively, and use it ethically.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making.
- Proper technology use, global awareness, and moral capacity in and outside of the classroom.
The MMH Grade 9-12 Skills for Health & Life curriculum is an effective and evidence-based Tier 1 health education curriculum that addresses the major youth health risk behaviors identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that contribute to the leading causes of death, disability, and social problems among youth in the U.S. In addition, skills taught throughout the MMH curriculum align to the five CASEL core social emotional learning competencies including: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
The high school curriculum is designed to be taught as a semester course on health and includes guidelines to customize and tailor health classes based on the number of classroom hours required to teach health. The lessons emphasize active student participation, especially in developing and practicing skills and role-playing strategies for using those skills. The following are the six comprehensive health topics of instruction for this curriculum:
- Skills: A Strong Foundation (19 lessons)
- Social and Emotional Health (10 lessons)
- Nutrition and Physical Activity (10 lessons)
- Safety (10 lessons)
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs (10 lessons)
- Personal Health and Wellness (8 lessons)
- Summary (2 lessons)
The curriculum provides teachers with:
- fully scripted and user-friendly lesson plans to help teachers prepare to teach.
- lesson objectives and correlation with Michigan and National Health Education Standards, CASEL competencies, time and materials chart, preparation tasks, tips, and lesson procedure.
- teacher resources including streaming videos; student worksheets and pre-/post-assessments (Google and PDF); teacher keys, teacher references, family resource sheets, assessment rubrics and/or checklists (PDF and/or MS Word); and online resources such as PowerPoints.
Product purchasing options:
- Digital option sold individually or within grade level bundles. Includes a 2-year subscription length with unlimited curriculum updates and access to a web-based teacher manual and all online teacher resources.
- Print option provides teacher manual in a three-ring binder and teacher resource flash drive.
- Support materials for the curriculum are purchased separately which includes posters, card sets, etc.